Part 2 of my 3 part restoration blog – Full speed ahead converting this Dookie Kong Jr into a DK.
Yeah I know, it was originally a DKJR (which was poorly converted to MERCS) but this sucker is on it’s way to being a DK. Â A large portion of the sides and t-molding area has been fully reconstructed with bondo – physically, it’s starting to look respectable (which is a miracle). Â It’s important to note that the original vinyl on Nintendo cabinets in non-porous, and it’s important to use a suitable primer (check the label to make sure)
What I’ve done this week:
- Finished Bondo Job
- Re-routed the t-molding groove
- Fully primed/sanded/primed/sanded/primed/sanded the entire body
- Finished reattaching the rest of the cabinet
- Refinished all hardware
- Covered mystery hole in coin door w/thin metal sheeting
- Painted 2 coats of black, and 2 coats of blue
What’s Left Cosmetically:
- Apply new side art
- Refinish control panel (bondo swiss cheese from MERCS configuration)
- Install all new Bezel, CPO, and Marquee
- Reinforce base boards
Hope you enjoy following the progress – the most important thing in restoring anything is patience, without it, you will make a ton of mistakes. Back next week for the final chapter!